This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Dreaming of a bold new look? Transform your dark hair with a vibrant purple hue – here are the 8 best purple hair dyes to help you achieve the look you want.
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- Top 8 Purple Hair Dyes
- Choosing the Right Purple Dye
- Pre-Dyeing Preparation
- Applying Purple Dye
- Post-Dyeing Care
- Maintaining Purple Hair
- Other Things to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Top 8 Purple Hair Dyes: Violet Dream Hair Color Dye, Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye, Garnier Hair Color Nutrisse Ultra Color, L’Oreal Violet Vixen Hair Dye, Natural Hair Wax Purple Styling
- Dye Types: Permanent, Semi-permanent, Temporary
- Undertones: Cool, Warm
- Pre-Dyeing Preparation: Patch test 24 hours in advance, Strand test, Gather accessories, Use color-safe shampoos and conditioners
Top 8 Purple Hair Dyes
Looking for the best purple hair dye for dark hair? You’ve come to the right place!
We’ve rounded up the top 8 purple hair dyes that will transform your look. Whether you’re looking for a vibrant, long-lasting color or a temporary change, we’ve something for everyone.
1. Violet Dream Hair Color Dye
View On Amazon
Looking for a vibrant, long-lasting purple hair color that doesn’t require bleaching? Try Violet Dream Hair Color Dye! This vegan formulation provides a deep warm tint with floral purple tones and strong magenta undertones that fade into a pink shade.
It’s compatible with hair around a level 7 or lighter, and can cover up brassy tones without any issues. The dye is also customizable, so you can create your own unique shade of purple.
- Highly pigmented color for a deep warm tint on darker hair shades.
- Ideal for hair around a level 7 or lighter.
- Can cover up brassy tones without issues.
- Customizable with Arctic Mist for a stunning pastel pink/lavender shade.
- Vegan formulation with no animal by-products.
- Conditions hair and restores vibrancy with frequent use.
- No harmful chemicals that damage hair like chemical-based colors.
- May not be as vibrant on dark hair as on lighter hair.
- May fade quickly if not properly cared for.
- May not be suitable for all hair types.
2. Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye
View On Amazon
If you’re looking for a vibrant, damage-free purple hair dye, Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye in the Pony variant is a great option. This semi-permanent color dye is infused with conditioning ingredients like fatty acids and vitamins, so you can achieve bold color without damaging your hair.
It’s also suitable for pre-lightened platinum to medium blonde hair, so you can easily add a tint to dark blonde and light brown hair.
- Vibrant, damage-free color
- Infused with conditioning ingredients
- Suitable for pre-lightened platinum to medium blonde hair
- Adds a tint to dark blonde and light brown hair
- May not be as vibrant on darker hair tones
- Can be pricey
- Not suitable for natural hair darker than a level 7
3. Garnier Hair Color Nutrisse Ultra Colo
View On Amazon
Garnier Hair Color Nutrisse Ultra Colo is a deep purple hair color with intense violet tones that adapts to all hair textures and is best for natural hair between light brown and darkest brown. It’s formulated with Colorboost technology, which allows you to achieve high impact color in just one step.
The vibrant color lasts for up to 8 weeks, and the formula is enriched with a blend of Triple Fruit Oils – avocado, olive, and shea – which nourish the hair during coloring.
- Deep purple shade with intense violet tones
- Adapts to all hair textures
- Best for natural hair between light brown and darkest brown
- Formulated with Colorboost technology
- Achieve high impact color in just one step
- Vibrant color lasts for up to 8 weeks
- Enriched with a blend of Triple Fruit Oils – avocado, olive, and shea – which nourish the hair during coloring
- May require bleaching for dark hair
- Not available in all countries
4. L’Oreal Violet Vixen Hair Dye
View On Amazon
L’Oreal Violet Vixen Hair Dye is a multi-faceted permanent hair color that delivers stunning results. It’s perfect for those looking for a vibrant and intense purple hue. The nourishing formula seals and smooths the hair, leaving it looking healthy and vibrant.
- Multi-faceted permanent hair color
- Shimmering medium purple with 3X highlights
- Intensified, brilliant results with a prismatic color spectrum
- Nourishing formula seals and smooths
- Kit includes Conditioning Colour Crème, Conditioning Developer Crème, Aromatic Shimmer Serum, and Power Shimmer Conditioner
- May require pre-lightening for dark hair
- Not suitable for those with sensitive scalps
5. Natural Hair Wax Purple Styling
View On Amazon
Want a temporary purple hair dye that washes out easily? Try Natural Hair Wax Purple Styling, a non-sticky, easy-to-use hair wax that comes in nine different colors. This product is perfect for those who want to experiment with different shades of purple without committing to a permanent change.
- 100% natural ingredients
- Non-sticky formula
- Easy to apply
- Washes out easily
- Available in nine different colors
- May not provide as much coverage as permanent dyes
- May not last as long as permanent dyes
- Some users report that the color can bleed onto clothes
6. Keracolor Purple Clenditione
View On Amazon
Keracolor Purple Clenditione is a 3-in-1 product that cleanses, conditions, and colors your hair in a single step, giving you vibrant, long-lasting results. This semi-permanent direct hair dye enhances color vibrancy and tones out unwanted shades, giving your hair an instant transformation with vivid fashion, pastel, or natural tones.
The non-damaging formula replenishes and tones hair color, extending the time between salon trips.
- 3-in-1 product cleanses, conditions, and colors hair in a single step
- Semi-permanent direct hair dye enhances color vibrancy and tones out unwanted shades
- Non-damaging formula replenishes and tones hair color, extending the time between salon trips
- Available in over 20 hues
- Cruelty-free, sulfate-free, paraben-free, and gluten-free
- Infused with Keratin, coconut oil, shea butter, rose hip oil, jojoba oil, and almond oil
- May not be as vibrant as permanent hair dyes
- May not last as long as permanent hair dyes
- May require multiple applications to achieve desired results
7. OVERTONE Purple Hair Conditione
View On Amazon
With OVERTONE Purple Hair Conditioner, you can achieve a subtle, deep amethyst hue with pink undertones on light brown to medium brown hair. This damage-free color enhancement is made with gentle, vegan, and cruelty-free pigmented conditioners, ensuring a luxurious and guilt-free experience.
- Ammonia-free, bleach-free, and developer-free
- Safe for all hair textures and types
- Not guaranteed to cover naturally white or gray hair
- Results may vary on hair that hasn’t been dyed, processed, bleached, or pre-lightened
- May not be as vibrant as other dyes
- May fade quickly
- Requires regular use to maintain color
8. Manic Panic Plum Passion Purple Hair Dye
View On Amazon
If you’re looking for a warm-toned purple hair dye that gives your hair a vibrant, red-toned finish, the Manic Panic Plum Passion Purple Hair Dye is a great option. It’s semi-permanent, so it won’t damage your hair, and it’s easy to apply at home.
- Warm-toned purple hue with red undertones
- Semi-permanent, so it won’t damage your hair
- Easy to apply at home
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- May not be as vibrant on dark hair as on lighter hair
- May fade quickly if you don’t use a color-protecting shampoo
Choosing the Right Purple Dye
When choosing the right purple dye for dark hair, you need to consider:
- The dye type
Permanent dyes require bleaching for a vibrant purple, while semi-permanent dyes are a more gentle option.
Cool undertones will complement light skin tones, while warm undertones will look great on dark skin tones.
Choosing the right purple hair dye for your dark hair depends on your desired shade, undertones, and hair type.
Permanent hair dyes will give you the most vibrant results, but semi-permanent and temporary dyes are less damaging and easier to remove.
There are also vegan and cruelty-free options available.
If you’re looking for a deep purple hair color, you’ll need to bleach your hair to a level 7 or lighter.
Permanent purple hair dye will give you the most vibrant results, but it’s important to use a color-safe shampoo and conditioner to maintain your color.
Avoid heat styling and use aftercare products to keep your hair healthy.
Frequently, semi-permanent purple hair dyes are a great option for dark hair because they don’t require bleaching.
Look for conditioning purple hair dyes that are free of harsh chemicals and sulfates.
Consider pastel purple hair dyes for a more subtle look, or opt for a bolder shade of purple if you’re feeling adventurous.
After choosing a temporary purple dye, you’ll need to decide if you want to bleach your hair before applying the dye.
Here are 4 things to consider when choosing a temporary purple dye for dark hair:
- Your natural hair color.
- The level of lift you want.
- The desired shade of purple.
- Your hair care routine.
Choosing the right purple dye for your dark hair depends on whether you want to bleach it or not.
If you do, you’ll need a dye that can lift your hair to a light enough level to achieve the desired shade.
If you don’t want to bleach your hair, you’ll need a dye that’s formulated for darker hair.
|Level of Lift
|Level 8 or higher
|Level 5 or lower
If you want to dye your dark hair purple, you’ll need to bleach your hair to a light blonde shade.
Here are 3 things to keep in mind when choosing a purple dye:
- The level of lift required.
- The undertones of your hair.
- The finish you want to achieve.
Without bleaching, you can achieve a deep, warm purple hue on your dark hair by choosing a dye that complements your skin tone.
When choosing a purple hair dye for dark hair, consider your undertones to ensure a flattering result.
Cool undertones will complement warm skin tones, while warm undertones will complement cool skin tones.
Cool-toned violets and plum shades are perfect for dark hair without requiring bleaching.
Here are 5 tips for choosing the right cool purple dye for your dark hair:
- Consider your skin tone and undertones.
- Choose a shade that complements your natural hair color.
- Opt for a semi-permanent or demi-permanent dye for less damage.
- Use a color-depositing conditioner to maintain your color.
- Take care of your hair with sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners.
If you have warm-toned skin, you’ll want to choose a warm-toned purple dye to complement your complexion.
Plum, burgundy, eggplant, and amethyst are all great options for warm skin tones.
Avoid cool-toned purples like violet, blue, and lavender, as these will clash with your skin tone and make you look washed out.
Before dyeing your hair purple, you need to do a patch test 24 hours in advance to check for any allergic reactions. You should also do a strand test on an inconspicuous area of your hair to see how the color will turn out.
When you’re ready to dye your hair, gather all the necessary accessories, including gloves, a coloring bowl, and an applicator brush.
Be sure to use color-safe shampoos and conditioners to maintain your purple hair color.
Applying Purple Dye
Once you’ve prepped your hair, you’re ready to apply the purple dye.
First, put on gloves to protect your hands.
Then, do a strand test to make sure the color is accurate.
Next, section your hair into small sections and apply the dye evenly. Be sure to work the dye into the roots and ends of your hair.
Finally, let the dye develop for the amount of time specified on the package.
After the dye has developed, rinse it out thoroughly with cool water.
To prolong the color, use a color-safe shampoo and conditioner set and avoid using sulfate-free shampoos.
To maintain your vibrant purple hair color, you’ll need to follow a few simple steps after dyeing.
- Use sulfate-free shampoo and color-safe conditioner to prevent your hair from drying out and fading.
- Avoid heat styling as much as possible, and use a heat protectant spray when you do.
- Get regular touch-ups or use a color-depositing conditioner to keep your color vibrant.
- Avoid chlorine exposure, as it can fade your color.
- Embrace aftercare measures, such as UV protection and deep conditioning, to prolong the vibrancy and health of your purple hair.
Maintaining Purple Hair
A few key things to keep in mind when maintaining your purple hair include:
- Using sulfate-free shampoos. Sulfates can strip hair color, so it’s important to use a sulfate-free shampoo to maintain your purple hair color.
- Conditioning regularly. Conditioning your hair helps to keep it hydrated and healthy, which will help your purple hair color to last longer.
- Avoiding heat styling. Heat styling can damage your hair and cause your purple hair color to fade more quickly.
In addition to these tips, you should also use color-safe products when styling your hair and avoid chlorine exposure. By following these tips, you can help your purple hair color to last longer and look its best.
Other Things to Consider
When choosing a purple hair dye for dark hair, there are a few things to consider:
- First, you need to decide whether you want a permanent, semi-permanent, or temporary dye.
- Second, you need to decide if you want to bleach your hair before dyeing it.
- Finally, you need to make sure to use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to maintain your purple hair color.
There are a few different types of purple hair dyes to choose from, including permanent, semi-permanent, and temporary.
- Permanent dyes are the most intense and long-lasting, but they require bleaching for dark hair.
- Semi-permanent dyes are less damaging and don’t require bleach, but they fade more quickly.
- Temporary dyes are the least damaging and don’t require bleach, but they only last for a few washes.
When choosing a permanent purple hair dye for dark hair, you’ll need to consider the level of lift required.
If your hair is dark brown or black, you’ll need a dye with a high level of lift to achieve a vibrant purple hue.
Be sure to use a purple shampoo and color depositing conditioner to maintain your color after dyeing.
Semi-permanent dyes are a great option for those who want to try out a new color without committing to a permanent change.
They typically last for 4-6 weeks, and they can be removed with a clarifying shampoo.
When choosing a semi-permanent dye, be sure to choose one that’s formulated for dark hair.
Temporary purple hair dyes are a low-maintenance way to experiment with different shades without the commitment of a permanent dye.
Look for a vibrant, long-lasting formula that’s cruelty-free, vegan, affordable, and sulfate-free.
Choose a kit that includes everything you need for after-care, such as a nourishing conditioner and a sulfate-free shampoo.
Bleaching is an option for achieving a brighter purple hue, but it’s important to do your research and take precautions to avoid damage.
The level of lift you need will depend on your natural hair color, and aftercare is essential to prevent color fading and hair damage.
– Yes / no
Whether you want to bleach your hair or not is a personal decision.
If you want a vibrant purple hue, you’ll need to bleach your hair to a light blonde or lighter.
However, bleaching can damage your hair, so it’s important to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.
– Level of lift
Depending on your desired shade of purple, you may need to bleach your hair to a certain level of lift.
The number of boxes of bleach you need will depend on your hair porosity and texture, as well as the desired color result.
Be sure to follow the aftercare instructions carefully to avoid damaging your hair.
3 hair care tips for purple hair:
- Use sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners to protect color.
- Apply a color-depositing conditioner once or twice a week to keep your color vibrant.
- Avoid heat styling as much as possible to prevent color from fading quickly.
– Sulfate-free shampoo
Using a sulfate-free shampoo will help to preserve the vibrancy of your purple hair color.
Sulfate-free shampoos are gentler on hair and won’t strip away the color as quickly as regular shampoos.
You should also use a sulfate-free conditioner to help keep your hair hydrated and healthy.
In addition to using a sulfate-free shampoo, you should also use a conditioner to keep your hair healthy and hydrated.
- Look for a conditioner that’s sulfate-free and color-depositing.
- Avoid heat styling tools and use a heat protectant spray when you do style your hair.
- Deep condition your hair regularly to help maintain its moisture and color.
– Heat styling
To protect your colored hair from heat damage, avoid using hot tools on a daily basis. Use a heat protectant spray before styling to help shield your hair from the heat.
Heat styling tips for purple hair:
|Use a cool setting on your tools
|Use a purple shampoo to maintain the cool tones
|Use a medium heat setting
|Use a purple shampoo to maintain the warm tones
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the best purple hair dye for dark hair without bleach?
If you want to dye your dark hair purple without bleach, you have a few options.
- You can use a semi-permanent dye, which will wash out over time.
- You can use a permanent dye, which will last longer.
- You can also use a temporary hair color spray or chalk to achieve a more subtle purple hue.
What are the best purple hair dyes for beginners?
Are you ready to dye your hair purple? Here are the best purple hair dyes for beginners, so you can achieve a bold new look without damaging your hair.
How long does purple hair dye last?
Purple hair dye typically lasts for 4-6 weeks, depending on the dye brand, your hair porosity, and how often you wash your hair.
How do I remove purple hair dye?
You can remove purple hair dye by using:
- A clarifying shampoo
- Dandruff shampoo
- A mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide
Wash your hair with the chosen product twice, then rinse thoroughly.
Follow up with a deep conditioner to help restore your hair’s moisture.
What are the best purple hair dye brands?
There are many great purple hair dye brands on the market, but some of the best include:
- Arctic Fox
- Manic Panic
These brands offer a variety of shades to choose from, as well as vegan and cruelty-free options.
To achieve a bold new look, transform your dark hair with the best purple hair dye options available. With vibrant shades and high-quality formulas, these dyes will help you achieve the purple hair of your dreams.
Consider factors such as dye type, bleaching requirements, and undertones when choosing the right purple dye for your hair.
Proper pre-dyeing preparation, application techniques, and post-dyeing care are crucial for maintaining your purple hair.
With the right products and care routine, you can rock your vibrant purple locks with confidence.