This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Toner is like a paintbrush, it helps you achieve the perfect hair color by adding or removing pigment.
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- How Long to Leave Toner in Hair?
- What is a Hair Toner?
- How Does a Hair Toner Work?
- When Should You Use a Toner?
- Types of Hair Toners
- Can a Toner Damage Your Hair?
- How to Use a Toner Safely?
- How to Maintain Toned Hair?
- Tips for Toning Your Hair at Home
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I leave toner in my hair overnight for better results?
- What should I do if my hair turns purple or blue after leaving toner on for too long?
- Is it necessary to use a developer with toner?
- Can toner be used on natural hair without any previous color treatments?
- Can I apply toner to dry hair instead of wet hair for better absorption?
- The recommended application time for toner is typically around 45 minutes.
- Leaving toner in your hair overnight should be avoided.
- Conduct a test strand before full application to assess reaction and adjust timing.
- Toner is most effective when applied to damp hair.
How Long to Leave Toner in Hair?
The general advice is that you should NOT exceed 45 minutes for toning your hair.
For lighter hair, less time for toning will be needed. Factors such as how light your hair already is will play a part.
What is a Hair Toner?
A hair toner is a product that improves the shade of your hair.
It’s used to add natural or more visible colors to your strands after coloring or bleaching your mane.
It improves the tint of your hair.
How Does a Hair Toner Work?
Hair toner helps to correct the color of your hair by adding natural or more visible colors to your strands after coloring or bleaching your mane. It improves the tint of your hair, removes unwanted tones, and prevents brassiness.
Toners are available in a variety of colors, so you can find the perfect one to match your desired hair color.
When Should You Use a Toner?
If you’ve noticed that your hair is developing unwanted tones, you should use a toner.
Whether you’ve got brassy hair, bleached hair, or lighter hair color, using the right toner color will help prevent or remove those unwanted undertones and give you gorgeous natural-looking hair color.
|Medium Blonde to Light Brown
|Medium Brown to Dark Brown
Types of Hair Toners
You’ll find three main types of hair toners on the market:
- Permanent toners
- Demi-permanent toners
- Semi-permanent toners
Permanent toners use ammonia and peroxide to lift your hair color and deposit new pigments.
Demi-permanent toners use a developer with a lower volume, so they don’t lift your hair color as much.
Semi-permanent toners are deposit-only toners, which means they don’t require a developer and don’t lift your hair color at all.
Can a Toner Damage Your Hair?
Toners are generally known not to damage the hair, but limit the use of permanent toners to when you want to undergo a complete hair transition.
Here are 4 things you should know about toners and how they can affect your hair:
- Toners can lighten hair, but they aren’t as harsh as bleach.
- Toners can damage hair if they’re used too often or if they’re left on for too long.
- Deposit-only toners that don’t require the use of developers for lightening the hair are less damaging.
- Using a toner safely means using a 10 or 20-volume developer, depending on the color result you’d like to get from using your toner.
How to Use a Toner Safely?
Determine the current state of your hair before using a toner.
- Use a 10 or 20-volume developer, depending on the color result you’d like to get from using your toner.
- Avoid sulfate, chlorinated water, and hot styling tools to maintain toned hair.
Can a toner damage your hair?
Toners are generally known not to damage the hair. Limit the use of permanent toners to when you want to undergo a complete hair transition. Deposit-only toners that don’t require the use of developers for lightening the hair are less damaging.
How to Maintain Toned Hair?
Now that you know how to safely use a toner on your hair, it’s important to understand how to maintain toned hair for long-lasting results.
- Use Hair Care Products: Invest in high-quality, sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners specifically designed for color-treated hair. These products will help preserve the tone of your hair while keeping it healthy and nourished.
- Avoid Hot Tools: Excessive heat can fade the color of your toned hair faster. Minimize the use of hot styling tools such as straighteners or curling irons, or apply a heat protectant spray before using them.
Tips for Toning Your Hair at Home
To achieve the best results when toning your hair at home, follow these tips:
- Use a 10-volume developer: This is a gentle option that will help deposit color without causing excessive damage to your hair.
- Wear gloves: Toning products can stain your hands, so it’s important to protect them by wearing gloves while applying the toner.
- Test strand before application: Before applying the toner all over, do a test strand on a small section of hair to see how it reacts and determine if any adjustments need to be made in terms of timing or product choice.
- Don’t exceed 45 minutes: Leaving the toner on for too long can result in unwanted color outcomes or potential damage to your hair strands.
Remember these tips as you embark on your DIY journey and enjoy beautifully toned locks without having to visit a salon!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I leave toner in my hair overnight for better results?
Leaving toner in your hair overnight isn’t recommended.
Toner should be left on for the specified development time, as leaving it on for too long can lead to unwanted results and potential damage to your hair.
What should I do if my hair turns purple or blue after leaving toner on for too long?
If your hair turns purple or blue after leaving toner on for too long, don’t panic.
Use a clarifying shampoo to remove excess color and follow up with deep conditioning treatments to help repair any damage caused.
Is it necessary to use a developer with toner?
Yes, it’s necessary to use a developer with toner.
The developer helps activate the toning process and allows the color pigments to penetrate your hair.
Be sure to follow the recommended ratio of developer to toner for best results.
Can toner be used on natural hair without any previous color treatments?
Yes, toner can be used on natural hair without any previous color treatments. It helps enhance the natural shade and add depth to your hair.
Can I apply toner to dry hair instead of wet hair for better absorption?
To achieve better absorption, it’s recommended to apply toner to damp hair rather than dry hair.
The moisture helps the toner penetrate the strands more effectively, resulting in a more even and vibrant color.
To achieve the perfect hair color, it’s important to know how long to leave toner in your hair. The duration can vary depending on the desired results and the type of toner being used.
Generally, toner should be left in the hair for about 10-30 minutes. However, it’s crucial to follow the instructions provided by the toner manufacturer for best results.
Leaving toner in for too long can lead to damage, so it’s important to use it safely and maintain toned hair properly.