This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Are you looking for the ultimate shampoo to protect and enhance your balayage hair? With so many options available, it can be hard to know which products are best suited for colored hair.
From Matrix Brass Off Shampoo to Luseta Purple Shampoo Blonde, we’ve got all of your color-protecting needs covered. Plus, learn how to choose a shampoo that works perfectly with balayage hair as well as some tips from experts about maintaining its vibrancy.
Get ready for beautiful locks that look salon fresh every day!
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- Top 10 Best Shampoos for Balayage Hair
- How to Choose a Shampoo for Balayage Hair
- How to Maintain Balayage Hair
- Tips for Keeping Balayage Hair Vibrant
- The Benefits of Using Purple Shampoo on Balayage Hair
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Matrix Brass Off Shampoo tones down brassiness and orange/red tones while depositing blue-violet pigments.
- Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo neutralizes warm, yellow tones and is suitable for all hair types.
- Fanola No Orange Shampoo tones down warm, brassy undertones and protects against oxidation and breakage.
- Redken Blondage Purple Shampoo tones down brassiness and orange/red tones while providing protection and moisture to the hair.
Top 10 Best Shampoos for Balayage Hair
Are you looking for the best shampoo to enhance your balayage hair? Look no further! There’s a variety of shampoos that can help protect color against fading, strengthen hair follicles, and nourish dry or damaged locks.
From Matrix Brass Off Shampoo and Color Balance Blonde Shampoo to Fanola No Orange, Redken Blondage Purple, Kerastase Blond Absolu Purple, and Moroccanoil Blonde Purple – there are plenty of options to choose from.
PRO VOKE Blue Brunette Shampoo, as well as Framesi Color Swatch Light Purples Liquid, are also great choices for brunettes. Luseta’s purple shampoo is excellent at neutralizing brassy tones in blonde or grey strands.
Finish off with Surface Hair’s Violet toning formula that helps keep blondes bright and vibrant.
Matrix Brass Off Shampoo
View On Amazon
Tone down brassiness and orange/red tones in your hair with Matrix Brass Off Shampoo, an anti-orange toning shampoo that hydrates, nourishes, and boosts cool tones without stripping color. This salon professional quality product is formulated to neutralize unwanted orange undertones in blonde or brunette hair while depositing blue-violet pigments for maximum reduction of brassy hues.
It’s gentle on hair yet effective enough to prevent brassiness between regular salon visits.
Enriched with coconut oil as well as UV absorbers and keratin, this sulfate-free formula helps protect against oxidation, breakage, and fading due to environmental factors like sun exposure or chlorine damage.
- Neutralizes unwanted orange undertones
- Deposits blue-violet pigments
- Hydrates & nourishes without stripping color
- Protects from oxidation & breakage
- Not suitable for level 6 lightness in natural or color-treated hair
- May cause staining of skin during application
- More expensive than other brands
Color Balance Shampoo Blonde
View On Amazon
Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo is like a ray of sunshine for your balayage hair. It neutralizes warm and yellow tones with its violet pigments while boosting shine. This sulfate-free and paraben-free liquid shampoo also contains green tea extract and UV absorbers to fight fading and tonal changes.
It also contains keratin to repair damage. It’s suitable for all hair types, from natural blonde to bleached or color-treated locks.
Even better, you’ll notice improvement in your color over time without having to worry about brassiness between salon visits. This is thanks to the hydrating properties that keep moisture locked in throughout the day.
- Neutralizes warm & yellow tones
- Boosts shine
- Contains Green Tea Extract & UV Absorbers
- Suitable for all Hair Types
- Hydrating Properties Lock Moisture In
- Improves Color Over Time
- Not Ideal For High Elevations
- Can Stain Hands If Worn Without Gloves
Fanola No Orange Shampoo
View On Amazon
Fanola No Orange Shampoo helps you reclaim your bright blonde and banish brassiness for good. This anti-orange toning shampoo tones down unwanted warm, brassy undertones with its violet pigment and coconut oil.
Ideal for brunettes, dark blondes, or high-level blondes, this sulfate-free formula can be used 1-2 times per week to keep hair looking fresh between salon visits.
- Neutralizes orange/red tones
- Enriched with coconut oil
- Helps protect against breakage
- Adds moisture & shine
- Can be drying if used more than 1-2x a week
- Requires gloves during use
- Must leave on hair 1 – 5 minutes before rinsing out
Redken Blondage Purple Shampoo
View On Amazon
Redken Blondage Purple Shampoo tones down brassiness and orange/red tones in gray, super lightened, or decolored hair while simultaneously strengthening and moisturizing to keep blonde hair bright.
Formulated with salicylic acid, pure violet pigments, protein amino acids, and glycerin, it helps retain color vibrancy as well as protect against fading. This shampoo can be used 2-3 times a week for maximum effect on all types of color-treated or chemically treated hair, including bleached tresses.
With its unique blend of hydrating ingredients like coconut oil extract & UV absorbers, the Redken Blondage Purple Shampoo works quickly to restore strength from within while enhancing softness & shine, resulting in beautiful blondes without any brassy undertones!
- Neutralizes unwanted yellow undertones and brassiness
- Instantly tones, strengthens, & moisturizes blonde, bleached, & colored hair
- Contains salicylic acid for repair at the core
- Quick color results with vegan formula free from sulfates, parabens, phthalates, etc.
- Not suited for grey coverage
- May not cover all grays or brassy tones
- Can stain fingernails purple
Kerastase Blond Absolu Purple Shampoo
View On Amazon
Kerastase Blond Absolu Purple Shampoo is a must-have for cool blonde, bleached, or gray hair as it instantly tones and neutralizes warm brassiness. It is enriched with concentrated blue and violet pigments to cancel yellow tones.
Additionally, this shampoo contains Hyaluronic Acid to strengthen the hair strands while restoring shine. It protects against oxidation, pollution, and breakage, ensuring that your color remains vibrant between salon visits.
To achieve the best results, use this shampoo once per week. Leave it on for 2-5 minutes before rinsing off completely with water.
- Neutralizes brassy undertones
- Contains Hyaluronic acid & concentrated pigments
- Protects from oxidation & pollution damage
- Enhances vibrancy of colors between salon visits
- On the pricier side compared to other purple shampoos
- Can temporarily cause a purple tint if overused
- Not a drastic overnight change
Moroccanoil Blonde Purple Shampoo
View On Amazon
Moroccanoil’s Blonde Purple Shampoo instantly tones, strengthens, and nourishes your hair with its hydrating coconut oil and extract while eliminating yellow tones in gray or bleached locks. This vegan formula helps remove brassiness in blonde hair while maintaining color in highlighted and grey hair without stripping the color.
It also protects against UV ray damage, making it ideal for balayage maintenance.
The shampoo is sulfate-free, paraben-free, and silicone-free, which makes it safe for colored treated or chemically treated hairs such as bleached ones.
- Neutralizes warm brassy undertones
- Enriched with violet pigments
- Sulfate-free & Paraben-free
- Protects from UV ray damage
- Can dry out some types of hair
- Color may fade over time
- Not suitable for all grays/brassies
PRO VOKE Blue Shampoo Brunette
View On Amazon
PRO:VOKE Blue Shampoo Brunette is an all-natural, sulfate-free color-enhancing shampoo that helps enhance and maintain brunette or highlighted hair. It’s enriched with Inca Inchi Oil to make hair soft, smooth, and naturally glossy while protecting against UV ray damage.
A little goes a long way, so use it sparingly for best results. While this shampoo can help quicken the process of achieving desired color results over time, some reviews note that it may not cover all grays or brassy tones in blondes as well as other brands can.
This affordable alternative offers great value, but keep an eye out for loose lids, which have been reported! For optimal benefits, pair with conditioner for hydrated locks full of vibrance!
- Enriched with Inca Inchi Oil
- Protects against UV ray damage
- Quickens desired color result over time
- May not cover all grays/brassiness in blonde hair
- Drying formula leads to breakage if used excessively
- Loose lids causing leaks have been reported
Framesi Color Blonde Shampoo
View On Amazon
Framesi Color Blonde Shampoo is a great choice for canceling out brassiness and maintaining color in your balayage, so you can keep your highlighted hair looking its best. This vegan formula utilizes light purple pigments to neutralize warm tones while boosting shine and protecting against fading.
It’s sulfate-free, paraben-free, and silicone-free, making it safe for all hair types, including chemically treated or bleached hair.
The concentrated pigment helps manage bright blonde or white hair but may not cover grays or brassy tones completely without additional conditioning products.
- Neutralizes warm undertones in blonde & gray hairs
- Safe for all types of color/chemically treated hairs
- Boosts shine & protects from fading
- Can dry out the scalp if left on too long
- Stains hands/nails if exposed to skin
- Not enough lather when washing
Luseta Purple Shampoo Blonde
View On Amazon
Luseta’s Purple Shampoo for Blonde & Gray Hair will revitalize your hair with its rich, nourishing formula, like a summer rain shower on parched earth. It neutralizes brassy tones in blondes and removes dull yellow in gray hair. The shampoo is infused with coconut oil extract to repair split ends while deeply hydrating brittle and fragile strands.
Additionally, it contains Vitamin E, which repairs the hair follicles, promotes healthy growth, and restores radiance. The sulfate-free organic formula is gentle enough for color or keratin treated locks, but also powerful enough to enhance shine without any harmful chemicals added into the mix! This purple shampoo has an optimal pH balance of 5.
- Neutralizes brassy tones in blondes
- Removes dull yellow from grey hair
- Infused with coconut oil extract to repair split ends
- Deeply hydrates dry brittle strands
- Vitamin E promotes healthy growth & restores radiance
- Not suitable for all shades of blonde/grey (may not cover grays)
- Pigmented product may stain if left on too long
Surface Hair Blonde Shampoo
View On Amazon
Surface Hair’s Blonde Shampoo helps transform your color-treated hair to a gorgeous, vibrant result. Formulated with violet pigments, this purple shampoo is perfect for neutralizing brassy tones in blonde or highlighted locks.
It also deposits cool ashy tones to keep the hue looking bright without overdoing it. Use 1-2 times per week when paired with other blonde products like conditioners and masks for best results. Just be sure to do a patch test before use in case of unexpected reactions or irritation! Store away from sunlight when not using so you don’t run out too soon.
- Violet shampoo designed for blondes & highlights
- Neutralizes brassy tones & adds cool ash hues
- Free of sulfates, parabens, and phthalates
- Can temporarily stain hands purple while washing
- Works best when used in conjunction with other blonde haircare products
How to Choose a Shampoo for Balayage Hair
Now that you know the top 10 best shampoos for balayage hair, it’s time to learn how to choose the right one for your needs.
When selecting a shampoo specifically designed for balayage-treated hair, there are several important factors to consider. Firstly, look out for color-safe shampoos that protect from fading and contain UV filters.
Also, opt for sulfate-free formulas which will purify the scalp without stripping away essential oils or drying out strands.
Additionally, make sure your chosen shampoo can fight brassiness in blondes and hydrates both fine or thick locks while providing lightweight nourishment. Look for ingredients such as keratin proteins and natural oils like argan oil or coconut oil.
Finally, be sure to include a heat protectant if you regularly use heated styling tools on your mane.
Here is a bullet list of tips when choosing the best shampoo:
- Look for color-safe shampoo with UV filters.
- Choose sulfate-free formulas to purify the scalp.
- Include a heat protectant if regularly using heated styling tools.
How to Maintain Balayage Hair
Maintaining balayage hair requires a regular regimen of color-safe shampoos, treatments, and conditioners to keep your locks looking vibrant and healthy.
- Use Color Safe Shampoo – Look for sulfate-free products with UV filters that protect against fading or brassiness.
- Choose the Right Treatments – Nourish hair with oils like argan oil or keratin treatments to strengthen strands from within while protecting against damage caused by heat styling tools.
- Select Purple Shampoo – Fanola No Orange is one of the best purple shampoos out there as it tones down brassy undertones without leaving any residue behind.
- Opt For Sulfate-Free Shampoo – Olaplex offers an amazing shampoo that helps reduce frizz while hydrating dry strands.
- Incorporate UV Protection – Aveda Sun Care Protective Hair Veil is a must-have product if you plan on spending time outdoors.
With these tips combined with regular salon touch-ups every 3-4 months, you will ensure beautiful, bright-colored locks throughout the year-round!
Tips for Keeping Balayage Hair Vibrant
To keep your balayage looking vibrant, try alternating between purple and blue shampoos to neutralize unwanted brassy tones without stripping away color.
Here are five tips for beautiful balayaged hair:
- Use a sulfate-free shampoo with UV filters to protect your hair from the sun’s rays and minimize fading.
- Look for ingredients like coconut oil, keratin, violet pigments, or salicylic acid that will nourish while also enhancing color.
- Try a light formulation of shampoo specifically designed for blonde or highlighted hair if you have lighter-colored strands.
- Avoid harsh chemicals when washing as they can strip away minerals in the scalp, which may cause dryness and breakage over time.
- Consider using an at-home kit after every salon appointment to maintain vibrancy until your next visit!
With these simple steps, you’ll be able to enjoy healthy balayaged locks all year long! Utilizing protective products such as sulfate-free shampoos enhanced with hydrating oils plus UV filters will ensure lasting results by minimizing fading along with protecting against breakage caused by environmental factors like chlorine and heat styling tools.
The Benefits of Using Purple Shampoo on Balayage Hair
Purple shampoo can help keep your balayage looking vibrant and rich, nourishing the hair with protective ingredients while depositing cool tones to neutralize brassiness.
- Hair Protection
- UV Filters
- Color Maintenance
- Tone Control
Matrix Total Results Brass Off Blue Shampoo is a great option for those seeking natural-looking highlights without any orange or yellow undertones. With Hyaluronic Acid and Coconut Oil, this purple toning shampoo helps strengthen strands while providing intense moisture to give you that salon fresh look every day.
For extra protection against fading or brassy hues, try using a hot oil treatment on wet hair before applying purple shampoo once per week in between regular shampoos.
To maintain the perfect balance of copper to blonde shades for an effortless gradient look, Fanola No Orange Shampoo works wonders.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it necessary to use shampoo specifically designed for balayage hair?
Yes, it is important to use shampoo designed for balayage hair. These specialized formulas help boost cool tones, protect color from fading or brassiness, and nourish your hair with hydrating oils. For best results, opt for sulfate-free shampoos with UV filters and look out for ones that suit your specific needs according to the type of balayage you have.
Can balayage hair be dyed a darker shade?
Yes, balayage can be dyed a darker shade. Choose color-safe shampoos to protect your new hue and use treatments or conditioners to keep hair hydrated and healthy. It is recommended to use heat protectant when heat styling, as well as to avoid sun exposure and chlorine damage.
Are there any natural ingredients that can help maintain balayage hair?
Yes! Natural ingredients like coconut oil, olive oil, and almond oil can help nourish balayage hair while preventing brassiness and fading. Use a deep conditioning treatment with these oils to keep your color vibrant and your locks healthy.
How often should balayage hair be trimmed?
Trim balayage hair every 3-4 months to prevent split ends and keep color vibrant. Ask your stylist for a light trim, or use at-home kits between visits. Opt for protective products that minimize damage from heat styling, sun exposure, and chlorine to preserve color longer.
What type of shampoo should be used to preserve balayage highlights?
To preserve balayage highlights, use color-safe shampoos with UV filters and sulfate-free formulas. Look for nourishing oils, keratin treatments, and conditioners to hydrate hair while fighting brassiness in blondes.
Balayage has become a popular hair coloring technique, and choosing the right shampoo is essential for keeping your hair looking vibrant and healthy. With so many options, it can be difficult to know which one is best for your hair type and needs.
After considering the top 10 best shampoos for balayage hair in 2023, you can make an informed decision on which is right for you. From Matrix Brass Off Shampoo to Surface Hair Blonde Shampoo, each shampoo offers unique benefits that will help keep your balayage looking its best.
To keep your balayage looking vibrant, use a shampoo that’s specifically designed for color-treated hair.
With the right shampoo, you can enjoy beautiful balayage hair that’s sure to turn heads.